Monday, October 4, 2010

Low-Tech Options

I have been focusing a lot on the use of high-tech assistive technologies to assist students with special needs. However, it must be noted that there are a range of low-tech options also available on the market, for use both in the classroom and at home.

As you would have seen in the video I posted in my previous blog, there are numerous types of pens, pencils and paper you can use to support your child. For example, simple adaptations like smooth writing pens that are comfortable to hold can make the difference between needing physical assistance and working independently.

Many children will benefit from special pens and pencils that are easier to hold than a standard pencil or pencil. Examples include:

  • Pen again

  • C.L.A.W

  • Ez Grip

  • Wanchick Hand-Based Writer

  • Pen and pencil weights

  • Slant boards

  • Wiki Sticks
Many students do not have the strength or coordination to hold a pen or pencil. These products therefore assist these students as they require less hand strength and the students are more easily able to control the writing implement.

Please watch the video in my previous blog and consider some of the options I have listed above. Often, a small accomodation will make a huge difference!

Before you go, check out my 'word cloud'. I created this cloud using Wordle as I thought it would be a beneficial way to represent some of the low-tech options discussed.
Wordle: assistive

Ciao
Miss Assistive Technology

5 comments:

Parent said...

Hi Miss Assistive Technology,
I have a boy in my class who has Autism. He is having a lot of trouble holding his pencil correctly but refuses all pencil grips I have tried with him. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Mr Mac

Miss Assistive Technology said...

Mr Mac!

I was very fond of a teacher called Mr Mac back in my day!

Anyway....
With this issue, does this boy have any particular interests such as trucks, trains, insects etc? From my experience, boys with autism usually have a specific interest which you can incorporate into their learning style.

Ciao
Miss Assistive Technology

Parent said...

Oh fantastic to hear!
He loves frogs actually! Any ideas how I can use this interest to his advantage??

Miss Assistive Technology said...

YES OF COURSE YOU CAN!

Frogs are a great interest to incorporate into their learning style. What you can do is buy a packet of rubber frogs from a $2 shop aswell as a pencil grip called the C.L.A.W. The C.L.A.W will motivate him to have the proper handgrip as it looks strange and the rubber frogs will be used to make sure his fingers stay in place while writing.

Hope this helps you!

Miss Assistive Technology

Parent said...

Thankyou so much for your suggestion. I went to the $2 right away and bought the frogs. They are definitely helping him :)
Mr Mac